This is the start of my new regime to write blog posts on a far more regular basis. Part of my motivation to do so is the encouragement I have received from others on microblogging site Twitter -its always motivational to see other people doing something that you want to do in the same way.
And therein lies my first tale of serendipity for the New Year - perhaps one that augurs well for 2009. I was looking for a photo to illustrate this post, and searched 'creative commons' photos on Flickr, and the picture above was the first one I saw - but I simply could not believe my eyes when I saw that the person who had uploaded the picture was Tojosan, the same Tojosan that I follow on Twitter! What are the 0dds of that I wonder, that of the 44,000 Creative Commons photos tagged 'resolution' in Flickr, the one I picked should be one uploaded by someone I know, someone that I didn't even know had a Flickr account?
Anyway I digress, the purpose of this post is to outline my plethora of resolutions that I REALLY want to achieve this year. There are many, but I am determined to succeed this year if I can.
My New Years Resolutions for 2009
- To stick to my resolutions
- To follow a much more rigid and rigorous lifestyle, I've been too lackadaisical for too long
- To apprecaite the lyrics of Bob Dylan more by listening to different Bob Dylan song every day
- To walk to school each day
- To use no carrier bags in shops & leave all coathangers and other reusable packaging items at shops
- To read a book, watch a film, and listen to a new CD each week
- To do a random act of kindness at least once a week
- To teach my own children something new each day
- To improve the quality of my photography
- To comment on each Blog post I read
- To create a podcast of 'Wee Free Men' by Terry Pratchett
- To speak to my own children each day (whether or not they are staying with me)
- To meet all of the school-based targets I have set myself (see a future Blog Post)
- To make a machinima with my son
- To take better care of my psoriasis
- To go to bed with an empty email inbox as first pledged by Bill Thompson
- To respond immediately to emails
- To visit a town I've never been to each month
- To establish MirandaMod as a leading model of unconferencing
- To curb what bad language I use
- To have a far more positive attitude no matter how I feel about something
- To ensure my THREE major goals relating to Moodle are met this year (see future blog posts)
- To pay all my bills and handle all important paperwork immediately
- To pass my Grade Two singing exam
- and... To sing 'Hallelujah' to the whole school
- To phone my parents twice a week
- To be less wasteful of food in the home
- To allow no one to upset me or to belittle my achievements
- To DO rather than just SAY I will DO.
- To start what I fi........nish ;-)
Phew... that's a long list but one I want to meet and I will be disappointed in myself if I don't. Let's see how I get on.
Todays Dylan song is 'Song to Woody'. This was one of the first songs Bob Dylan ever wrote and whilst being a sort of prayer to Woody Guthrie, it includes words that could be so apt for the way the world is at the moment: "...I wrote you a song, 'Bout a funny ol' world that's a-comin' along. Seems sick an' it's hungry, it's tired an' it's torn, It looks like it's a-dyin' an' it's hardly been born".
How could a man as young as Dylan was at that time, write lyrics of such timeless poignancy? It's a lesson to us all!